There were many old roads traversing the area of the Beeftub at the south end of Tweedsmuir Parish. The Romans were the first to leave their mark c100 AD- their engineering skills evident in the remains of Roman roads and associated signal stations of which can still be found.
Following the alignment of the roman road indicates that the road must have continued going north-west on the higher ground between the Clyde and Tweed valleys. The Upper Tweed valley must have been impassable at that time due to dense forest and/or posibly the presence of hostile local tribes. This Roman road would subsequently be used by pilgrims until a better route would emerge from the various tracks used at different times to reach the top of the Devil's Beeftub from Moffat. This new route would be the one via Tweed's Cross located between Flecket Hill and Annnandalehead Hill - just east of the centre fold line on the following map.
Just south of the site of Tweed's Cross is where in 1746 a captive highlander ecaped by rolling down into the Devil's Beeftub. For more on this story see page 14 Maclarens Leap.
The areas of Ericstane and Ericstane Hill (Brae) are mentioned in old documents/poems. It was at this spot in 1305/6 Robert Bruce - the future King on his way north was met by the young James Douglas. Douglas was carrying a message of support from the Bishop of St Andrews. Douglas pledged his loyalty to the would be king - a promise he kept and he became a life long friend and comrade in arms. This historic meeting place is on the eastern section of The Robert the Bruce Trail where there is a commemorative plaque see below.
At Ericstane a part of a Roman gold fibula - roman brooch, was found by a peat digger in 1787. More details on The Romans in Upper Tweeddale page.